Friday, December 15, 2023

Second Chances

 by Paula Gail Benson



          Despite Heaven’s beauty and comfort, the wait outside Saint Peter’s office seemed interminable. Griffin sighed.

          The female admin viewed him sympathetically. “You miss your earthly wife.”

          “We spent every Christmas together. Now she thinks I haunt her spitefully.”

          The admin’s youthful face clouded. “She wants to move on.”

          “She’s found someone else.”

          The admin made no response. Griffin turned and saw his own pain reflected in her eyes.

          Finally, the admin spoke. “I died young. My true love and I never connected on earth.”

          “Is there still a chance?” Griffin asked.

          She smiled. “Perhaps. Can you set your wife free?”

***

This 100 word story is offered as an entry for the annual Advent Ghosts event hosted by Loren Eaton at I Saw Lightning Fall. See the other entries there. Thanks, Loren, for the opportunity! 

 



4 comments: