Saturday, December 18, 2021

The Yule Cat's Fury

 by Paula Gail Benson


As Skeggr placed the candle stub on his grandmother’s tombstone, its melting wax burned his fingers.

“I’m alone without you, Amma,” he said. “I’ll receive no Christmas gift of clothing to save me from the Yule Cat’s fury.”

He heard a low growl from the shadows.

“The thirteen Yule Lads played no tricks on me. Window Watcher saw I had nothing worth stealing.”

A light flickered nearby, illuminating Candle Snatcher, who handed Skeggr a ribbon with attached bell.

Gratefully, Skeggr donned his new apparel before leaving.

Seizing the smoldering stub, Candle Snatcher whispered, “Yule Kitty, follow your collar bell’s ring.”


***

This 100 word story is offered as an entry for the annual Advent Ghosts event hosted by Loren Eaton at I Saw Lightning Fall. See the other entries there. Thanks, Loren, for the opportunity! 

6 comments:

  1. 0_o

    Oh, DEAR. Poor Skeggr.

    This is a bit of Christmas lore with which I was completely unfamiliar prior to your story. I have an Icelandic neighbor, and I'm going to ask him about it.

    (Unrelated fact: One year, he brought us a boiled sheep's head to eat. It was pretty good.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok I needs to check out the lore too. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Yule Cat and this is a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't really know why I like this but I definitely do. Very atmospheric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beware the Yule Cat.
    Great job, Paula.

    ReplyDelete
  6. At least he didn't have all his spoons licked and his doors slammed.

    ReplyDelete